Taillight foam and reflectors

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Taillight foam and reflectors
From: radsickt@lablink.ple.af.mil
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 94 13:36:15 PST
I just took apart the tailights on the GT6 and I now have two
questions for the SOL.

1)  why is there a layer of greyish foam mounted inside the taillight
assembly?  Mine is now *extremely* warped and brittle and I am
pondering its removal.  I would guess it is some sort of heat shield,
thus will its removal cause problems?

2) There is no silver on the reflectors.  I seem to remember this
thread about a year ago, but as is so often the case I figured this
"would never happen to me" and failed to commit the solutions to
memory.  Anyone care to summarize the options?  I am thinking about
using silvery paint or clear-coated aluminum foil.  Neither of these
sounds too promising. Help!

-Tim