Brakes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Brakes
From: John Trindle <jtrindle@ftf03.larc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 94 12:18:02 -0500
Jeffrey, I had the same problem (brake sinks to floor under steady pressure,
but brakes work fine).  It was a pitted master cylinder and piston seal.
These things are expensive to buy new so it is worth a hone and rebuild,
however, it is much more complicated than a clutch master cylinder.  I
bought a new one ($280 locally!!) and have the rebuilt one as a spare.

We bled the brakes before tearing apart the master cylinder, no effect.
My impression is that air in the lines causes a soft pedal which can be
pumped up to be hard, whereas this leakby problem causes a hard pedal which
sinks under steady pressure.

...John Trindle