MGB Cylinder Head and Pozidriv

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Cylinder Head and Pozidriv
From: KMWHEELER@ualr.edu
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 12:25:12 -0600 (CST)
Over the weekend I bought a Dremel tool and practiced polishing the
combustion chambers on the cracked-and-wacked old B head I've got.
The itsy-bitsy Dremel tool is great for this!  My uncle gave me an on
Ingersol-Rand industrial die-grinder for the occasion.  NOT!  That monster
would've turned the whole head to nothing but grey dust.

I bought a little accesory kit along with the tool. (Actually marked Sears,
btw)  I thought the little grinding stones would be best, but they gouge the
metal.  The fine sanding drum and discs work great!  After a little practice
I got pretty good.  It is, however, easy to tell which cylinder I did first.
I think it is amazing how such a simple procedure can alter the way an engine
performs.  Next weekend I'll do the head off my streetcar.  Maybe it'll put an
end to my minor knocking and run-on.

On Pozidriv tools:  I got my x-large and medium Pozidriv screwdrivers from
Seven, the MGB and Mini guys in New Jersey.  I can't remeber what sizes they
are or what they cost.  The x-large easily remove the screws that hold the MG's
door hinges on.  I think Seven sells a set for about $50 or so.  If you've got
a car that has Pozidriv screws, get these tools!!!  I've removed many scres that
were trashed by some PO or just plain rusted.

Our Midget is about ready for the road.  It rained most of the weekend, but we
did manage to get new radiator hoses on it.  Still needs new tires, an
alignment, new fuel hoses, and a couple of other nick-nacks, but my fiance
hopes to drive it in the 17 April BMCA rally/tour.

kmw