Re: misfiring solved...?

To: Marcus Tooze <tooze@gis.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: misfiring solved...?
From: (Roger Garnett)rwg1@cornell.edu
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:02:34
Marcus sez:
> I adjusted the thumbscrew on the vacuum unit
> so that about 1/8in of thread was sticking out. Before I had about 1/3 in
> sticking out...i.e. it was very tight. The reason for this was when I had
> the distributor out, I was twiddling the thumbwheel, thinking to myself,
> 'I wonder what the hell this is for...oh well, can't be important'.

Yes, it is important, and I don't think it's been described quite
right yet.

This knob is what is known as a "vernier adjuster", or simply put, a
fine tuning knob for the dist timing. It lets you do final adjustment
without loosening the locking clamp/bolts.

This is another of those fun things you get to frob on your British
Car!

Why? Well let me 'splain a couple cases:

-You just got a tank of cheap gas, cuz that's all they had, and need
to retard the timing to avoid ping.

-You just got a tank of premium for the auto-cross, and need to
advance your timing to get a little power out of it.

In either case, you just lift the bonnet, and from the knob a few
clicks in the proper direction, as indicated by the A and R arrows on
the body of the dist. (A=Advance, R=Retard).

You should just set the vernier to the middle before you adjust your
timing via dist position, then you're all set for fine frobbing in
either direction.

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!