Re: Mufflers and Air Compressors

To: bobj@meaddata.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mufflers and Air Compressors
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 94 09:26:56 -0700
In message <9405021531.AA20555@elroy.meaddata.com> Robert Jones writes:
> I still haven't replaced the muffler on my '74 MGB (currently it has a
> Cherry Bomb Glasspak that doesn't do much).  It seems thtat the B
> mufflers are kind of expensive ($40 for the muffler and $40 for the
> collector box).  It seems like you can get mufflers for many four
> cylinder cars for about $20-25 at any generic auto parts store.  Has
> anyone tried the cheap way out of finding one that fits?
> Would you say it was successful?  Any reason I shouldn't try this?

My '68 BGT came with a muffler under the left hand seat and a resonator in back.
I kept getting the muffler hung up on speed bumps.  I solved my problem by
placing the muffler at the rear where the resonator went. There is more vertical
clearence in the rear.  If you are planning to put a muffler in the stock
posistion you will need to find as flat a muffler as possible and make sure it
is mounted close to the body.  You would probably be better off with a stock MGB
muffler

> Also, I am looking into buying an air compressor with an eye towards
> painting my car.  I am limited by the fact that I live in a rented
> townhouse and the garage is only wired for 110 V.  Many of the larger
> comressors require 220V.  Walmart has a 3.5hp 20 gal Cambell Hausfield
> compressor for $250 which flows 8.1 cfm @ 40 psi & 6.1 cfm @ 90 psi.
> Is this enough for painting and basic tools such as an impact wrench, air
> ratchet, etc.?  What about sandblasting?  Sears has a 4 hp w/25 gal
> tank for $300 that also runs on 110V.  Are these good deals?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I have the same problem.. Renting and a 110V connection.
I purchases a 3.3 HP 110V compressor.  It has enough power to run a paint gun
(moisture is my problem there). It dosn't have the air to run a DA sander, and
is marginal with a cutoff tool (but it does work).  Its marginal with a sand
blaster (but it does work, just takes longer).  A die grinder works fine.  I
think a way to get better results would be to have a very large air resavor,
wait until you buld pressure up on it then run your tools that require a higher
flow rate until the pressure goes down & wait until the pressure is built up
again.  Since the compressor puts out almost enough, that in conjunction with
lots of stored high pressure air shoud put you into the enough catagory for
spurts long enough to get some work done.

Sorry, I do not think there is a easy answer for renters.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344          TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561