Wonderful Cars, Compressors and Bay Area SOL Thing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Wonderful Cars, Compressors and Bay Area SOL Thing
From: radsickt@lablink.ple.af.mil
Date: Thu, 05 May 94 08:02:39 PDT
Greetings All:

Wonderful Cars
--------------

Indeed it is a memorable experience when one sees a picture of "that
car" -- in in the flickering flame of that moment, you just KNOW that
someday in the future you will be in that car, you will be smiling and
unlike your vision of owning a new Bugatti or a Porsche 959 or
something, you simply won't care about what people think.  You'll get
a tingle everytime you hear the whir of the starter, the burble as you
blip the throttle, the snick as the gearbox clicks into first.

L Snyder (I believe) explained "that car" for him was a GT6, a choice
he felt was somewhat unusual.  I too own a GT6, and I hope to have a
bit of those feelings when the 10,000 parts magically attach together
to form one large lump of British engineering, or lack thereof.  I do
remember being particularly fond of the engine note, at least back
when the engine was in the car.

But I have already found "that car" and it is perhaps a more unlikely
choice than the GT6.  Though I found it particularly unattractive back
when my voice (among other things) was changing, I saw one in college
and had to have it.  The odd but facinating lines, the way it sticks
to the pavement on twisty roads like those little 2" Sizzler cars on
that plastic, high-bank oval track, the removable top, the two-seater
arrangement (and it's usefulness on romantic evenings in the San
Gabriels), the mid-engine and it's two, gas-station-attendant
confusing trunks.... Ah, that car... a metallic blue 1974 Porsche 914.
Now I own 3 poor-man's Porsches, one poor-man's XKE (the Triumph) and
a poor-man's Ferrari (the Honda CBR600F2 motorcycle).  I kinda like
being poor....

Compressors
-----------

Just purchased the Craftsman 4HP, 25Gal compressor.  Works pretty
well, in my limited use thus far (pumped up the tire one on the CBR.)
It doesn't trip the tiny circuit breaker in my apartment, and once I
get married, have kids, get a dog and own a three-car garage wired for
240Volts (the four parts of my life's dream) it will plug right in.
I'm not super sure about the oilless compressor but I think Sears will
support it well.  After purchasing a bunch of crappy tools, I now fear
Harbor Freight and try to live by that "you get what you pay for"
motto I heard alot as a kid.  That's why I didn't really look at the
Campbell-Hausfield (sp?) units much.  One other thing about the
Craftsman compressor: The red tank has a metal plate attached to it
which reads "Made and tested by DeVilbis"  which to me means quality.

Bay Area SOL Thing
------------------

Two questions:  Can someone post who all is planning on attending and
what cars may be there?  I would really like to get to see some
operating Brit Cars (might motivate me to work on the GT6) but I would
have to justify the trip (from Edwards AFB to the Bay Area) by telling
myself I would get to see LOTS of neat cars!  My other question is
will you all shoot me/ laugh at me/ make fun of me/ shun me if I show
up on the motorcycle?  The 914 has CV joint trouble and the Triumph
ain't gonna move much this summer (though I guess I could bring the
fuel pump, wiper motor or shift knob up to the Bay Area so as to makes
me fit in wit' y'all).

Respectfully Submitted,
Tim