Re: A Few Midget Issues

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: A Few Midget Issues
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 18:05:49 +0800
~ And now, on to my own problems:
~
~ I was reminded of an issue with my Harvey over the weekend.  Oil.  First, what
~ kind are we using in our A-Series engines?  I've been using 20W50, but this I
~ think is wrong.  With the 20W50, however, my oil pressure gets a little
~ creative.  At hot idle, it's about 30-40 psi, no problem.  Off-idle hot, it's
~ a little over 60 psi, no problem.  But if I'm braking heavily (i.e. not too
~ terribly much force, but as much as the crap tires on the car can handle) in
~ neutral (at idle speed), the O.P. gauge plummets to zero, then works back up
~ to 30-40 after I stop.  If I'm braking heavily in gear and the RPM's are above
~ about 1500, then this doesn't happen.  I'm assuming the oil in the head
~ gallery is slogging to the front, starving the gauge, but at higher speeds,
~ the flow is great enough to avoid this.  Is this normal?  Am I harming my
~ engine by braking hard in neutral?  Can I install some baffle or other boffo
~ trick to avert this icky situation?

You can avoid running the car with low oil level.  That's almost
certainly what is causing this symptom, not the weight of oil.

20W-50 is a fine weight for many temperature conditions; that's not
even a possible cause, as near as I can tell, much less a probable
one.  Actual probable causes, in order, include:

  - Low oil level.  The only "sloshing" that goes on under braking
    (or cornering) is in the oil pan.  The B series engine is
    notorious for having oil problems when you're as little as 1
    quart low, particularly when you make high-G manoeuvers.  If
    memory serves, the oil-pressure pickup on the A Series is at
    the rear of the block, not in the head.  Oil pressure drops to
    zero because there's no oil at the pickup; the gauge measures
    oil under pressure, and even 30 psi is enough to ensure that
    it can't "slog" to the front.  (That's two atmospheres, for
    reference.)

  - Something loose inside the motor, either a piece of something
    that slides around and occludes the pickup or something worse.
    If for some reason there's a loose drive in the pump, for
    instance (which is at the back of the camshaft), you might
    run into trouble, but I've never heard of that.

  - A bad gauge or gauge connection.  Is it an electric gauge?
    Could you have a short to the brake lights that's blowing
    your gauge away when you hit the brakes?  (Try it standing
    still, just for fun.)

I've actually experienced problems #1 and #3, admittedly on a B
Series engine, but they're largely similar (oil pumps are quite
different, of course, but the pickups and pans are alike, if I
remember correctly).  I would recommend carefully checking not
simply the oil level, but the dipstick itself, and the dipstick
tube.  There should be a little plastic trumpet sticking about 2"
up from the bottom of the engine block; if that trumpet isn't
there, you'll be two quarts low even when the stick says you're
full.  (Been there, done THAT.)

My money's on oil level; that's really common in BMC motors of
at least the A and B varieties.  I can't imagine any way that
oil viscosity would cause the problem you describe.  If you
were running oil too *thick*, you can sometimes have oil pressure
fluctuation on acceleration, but not on braking; that's almost
always level-related, not viscosity-related.

--Scott