Re: electronic tacho

To: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>,
Subject: Re: electronic tacho
From: tpr@mfltd.co.uk (Tim Renouf)
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 10:12:13 BST
@
@ ++> it's an electronic one that converts pulses from the dizzy into
@ ++> a current and then measures the current), so do you want me to
@ ++> dig out that article tonight ?
@
@       That would be great.  If it has complicated wiring diagrams or
something,
@ maybe you could fax it to me.

I found the article last night, and it doesn't have much detail. Only
the first two paragraphs are relevant to this subject:

This month we convert a TR7 rev counter to TR8 spec and save another
UKP 20. On removing the counter from the dash, turn it upside down
and look at the back. There you will see a circuit board. Upon this
board looking from left to right you will see 3 capacitors (3 x red,
orange, black) a chip upon which is riding a blue cylindrical
capacitor and to the right of this, yet another capacitor like
the first three but coloured brown.

To enable the counter to work with an 8 pot engine, remove this last
capacitor and replace it with a single 0.0044uf capacitor or a
combination of equivalent value - voila!

There is a photo accompanying the article, which does indeed show
the pcb with three identical colour-coded capacitors, then an 8-pin
chip with an electrolytic capacitor over it, then the capacitor
that requires replacement. The value you want for 6 cylinders
depends on whether the mod as described makes the capacitor bigger
or smaller.

Hope this helps.

--
Tim Renouf     tpr@mfltd.co.uk     UK: (0635) 565375    US: 415-856-4161 x5375
Micro Focus Ltd, 26, West St, Newbury, Berks RG13 1JT.       IBMMAIL(GBHFFCBF)