Resurrection in progress (finally!)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Resurrection in progress (finally!)
From: Andy Ashworth <tcsaca@aie.lreg.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 94 09:49:48 BST
Over this weekend I finally got a chance to look at my 77 Spitfire - i.e. I've
run out of excuses not to do it!  After pumping up four very flat tyres I
summoned up the strength to push the Blue Beast out of the garage into the
cold light of day for the first time in too long.  Well she didn't melt or
anything so I proceeded onto the next step - could I get her started? I cleaned
up the contact breakers, checked for a continuity connected up the battery from
my wife's car (Rover 214) and cranked her over; nothing. Checked for a spark -
that was OK so it must be fuel. Sure enough, the carbs were dry and fuel was
not coming through in spite of my valiant attemps to flatten the wife's
battery.
I then primed the whole fuel system, i.e. fuel pump, float chambers AND fuel
line between tank and pump, by hand and tried again.  After a couple of
splutters, success!  The engine sounded pretty good considering and I'm now
looking forward to the joys of putting the Blue Beast back on the road such
as overhauling the brakes, patching the holes, patching even more holes, fixing
oil leaks (I know LBC's are meant to leak oil, but....) complete rewiring, etc.

Do any UK list members have experience of any body restorers in the South East,
particularly Sussex, since I don't have the time (or patience) to do this
myself (unless I really can't afford a proper job).

Happy motoring

Andy

Andy Ashworth
Lloyd's Register                        email:  tcsaca@uk.co.lreg.aie
29, Wellesley Road                      Phone:  +44 (0)81 681 4723
Croydon                                 Fax:    +44 (0)81 681 4839
CR0 2AJ