69 spitfire

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 69 spitfire
From: Fred_Oak@vos.stratus.com
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 94 11:02 EDT
  I just went and looked at a 69 spitfire last night.  It was in ok
condition for a 69, and he wanted $1500.  The body had a repaint that was
stating to chip off, and had some small rust spots but no holes.  The rocker
panels had previously been replaced, and the front floors had rusted through,
but had sheet metal riveted in place. The interior was rough, the seats ripped,
the dash had a 1/4" split in it, and misc. other things wrong or missing.
I didn't take it for a drive, but it started up ok and idled smoothly, and
was very quiet.  It had 45,000 miles on it (but who knows?), and he had
replaced somes parts (front brake pads/calipers, rebuilt clutch hydrolics,
and misc other small things.  He has another parts car (which I really
wouldn't want, but would take some of the spares(engine/trans and other small
things). He has owned the car for 10 years, and has been driving it less and
less due to the time constraints of a young family/new house.
  I guess what I want to know is if $1500 sounds like a good price, or should I
spend a little more and get something newer and in better shape (is there any
advantage to getting the 69 over a 70 & newer.  I know the 69 was the last
year it had dual SUs.  And is there anything else I should be on the lookout
for on this car (I did poke/look at the frame and it seemed ok).