Re: Rally mailing list. Moving to Ca.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 94 18:27:10 MDT
> Date: Wed, 3 Aug 1994 10:57:26 -0500 (CDT)
> From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
> Subject: Re: Rallying
> There is also a mailing list.  This is all I know:

> Rally list is at listserv@guvm.ccf.georgetown.edu
Actually, the address is rally-l@guvm.ccf.georgetown.edu.  I believe
you subscribe by sebding a request to
rally-l-request@guvm.ccf.georgetown, or you can send a request to
listserve with the body subscribe rally-l.

Only reason I bomb the whole list with this is that the rally mailing
list is currently about 80% navigational/TSD stuff.  It appears that
someone is trying to start a newsgroup for stage rallying:
rec.autos.sport.wrc

> Date:         Wed, 3 Aug 1994 14:32:24 -0400
> From: Gregory T Fieldson <fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
> Subject: going to California, too

>   Well, after about a year of trying, I have finally managed to secure
> admission into  the world  of the gainfully employed. What this means,
> in practical  terms, is that I will be moving from Baltimore, Maryland
> to Palo  Alto, California  around the  16th of September. I knew I was
> doing the  right thing  when I discovered a British car shop about .25
> miles from where I will be working (the Burnett's British Auto Service
> on El Camino Real).
Greg,

  This probably gets a bit emotional, but having been there...

  You might want to consider shedding cars back in Maryland and
looking for new stuff out in Ca.  I moved to Santa Rosa in the late
70s and brought along a 66 Mustang GT Convertible from Wisconsin.
Typical floor and rocker rust.  When it finally came time to part with
it, I found that I had trouble giving it away.  People out there have
a very provincial attitude toward rust, and even rust repair.  They
are kind of spoiled, having lived with rust free cars all their life.
I had mechanics refuse to put the car on a lift, refuse to do brake
work, etc.  It was impossible to get people to do any frame repair (I
wasn't in a position to do my own welding at the time), and when I
eventually tried to sell the car, I couldn't sell it for any price.
This, in spite of the fact that all structural repair had been
accomplished, with some glass work on non-critical areas.  Engine was
rebuilt, everything worked.  It was a GT convertible with a 4-speed,
but when I couldn't even get $1500, I ended up giving it to a friend.

Unless your cars are totally rust free, I expect you will find loving
homes more easily back east, andhave something more solid to start
with in Ca to boot.  Just a thought.

    Jay Nemeth-Johannes                       87 Merkur XR4ti
    Hewlett-Packard                           83 VW GTI
    VXI Systems Division                      71 Saab Sonett
    Loveland, Colorado                        58 MG ZB Magnette