Re: silent alarms

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: silent alarms
From: jab@netrix.com
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 94 08:37:58 EDT
We have a system available in Virginia called LoJack.  It is a
silent alarm for a car that transmits using a hidden radio in the
car.  I understand that the transmitter is about the size of chalk
board eraser, and it is permanently mounted on the car.  It has its
own battery supply if the car battery is disconnected.  The problem
that we have in my immediate area is that there are three disjoint
police jurisdictions (VA, MD, and DC).  VA has the receiver for these
transmitters, but the other two areas do not.  There is also no coverage
in Delaware for the local beach lovers.

A police car with the receiver for these units is pretty easy to spot.
The car has four 12" antennas on its roof (hood?) arranged in a
square, spaced about 12" apart.  A computer monitors each antenna
and uses the delay in reception between each antenna to get a directional
fix on the transmitter.  Pretty neat!

The latest ads that I have heard on the radio indicate that there is
no monthly fee once the unit is purchased.  The last I heard, these
transmitters cost a minimum of $595.  Perhaps this is a good investment,
but I wouldn't purchase one unless the area of coverage were a little
bigger in the areas that I frequent.

Nope.  I don't work for 'em, I just thought you'd like to know.

-Jim.
----
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer   Email:  jab@netrix.com
Netrix Corporation                    '92 Honda Accord
13595 Dulles Technology Drive         '76 Triumph TR7
Herndon VA  22071        Give Blood -- It's a great feeling!