Re: XJ6 Transmission

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, tdm@akguc.att.com
Subject: Re: XJ6 Transmission
From: knipper@optilink.dsccc.com (Ron Knipper)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 16:14:55 PDT
----- Begin Included Message -----

>From uunet!triumph.cs.utah.edu!british-cars-request Wed Aug 17 11:20:27 1994
From: uunet!akguc.att.com!tdm
Date: 17 Aug 94 17:32:00 GMT
To: uunet!autox.team.net!akgua!att!british-cars
Subject: XJ6 Transmission

I have a good friend that is having a Jaguar problem.
He says that the transmission on his '86 XJ6 takes too long to
switch between 1st and 2nd, especially when he first starts out
in the morning.  If he had an American car I would tell him that
he "needs to get his bands tightened."  I know that it was an adjustment
that stopped that slushy feel in a transmission.  Do Jaguar
transmissions act like that?  Can they be adjusted?
I think that I heard someone say that a Jaguar transmission
is a GM transmission in a Jaguar case.  Is that true?
Can he take it to a general transmission shop and get them to
adjust it?  He had the fluid changed and filter changed.
He wants me to help him change transmissions.  I am trying to
decide if he is REALLY that good of a friend !  Any help will
be appreciated

Don Mathis

----- End Included Message -----

The XJS uses a TH400 with a Jaguar case.  XJ6's use Borg-Warner slushboxes.
My 86 XJ6 VDP has a BW model 65.  The info I got from John's Cars indicates
that there is no yankee substitute.  The truely advertureous can endeavor
to do the manual transmission coversion.  I've seen them advertised in
Hemmings.

Seriously though, the XJ has access flaps on the transmission tunnel so you
can get to the band tensioners from the passenger compartment.  The procedure
in the factory manual is pretty simple, but I don't recall the details off
the top of my head.

Good luck.

----
Ron Knipper