resubscribe

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (Britcar)
Subject: resubscribe
From: "Vaughan K. Scott" <scottv@rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 12:08:45 -0500 (EDT)
        I apologize for blasting the whole net with this, but I've lost the
address for requests.  Please resubscribe me at scottv@rpi.edu  ... Thanks

        Some of you may recognize my address, and recall that last fall I
sent out a request for addresses of those people interested in a rebuild
guide for the Z-S carbs.  Due to various personal and financial reasons,
I had to take a leave of absence from school in the spring semester after
returning for only a month, and therefore was unable to finish off the rebuild
guide.  However, what I had previously written was not lost.  I stopped at
the completion of the disassembly, and so all that remains to be written
is the reassembly and tuning.  One advantage I have due to the elapsed time
is that I have now just about perfected my tuning of the carbs, so that section
will not merely be a copy of the Bentley manual, but will contain some tips
also.  If you have sent me a request for this document previously, I still
have your name, and will send copies and soon as the document is complete. I
currently have approximately 100 addresses. If your address has changed,
please send me a message with both new and old addresses so I can make the
change to my list.  Also, If you have not previously requested a copy, feel
free to do so.  I do plan to post this to the archive when complete.  No
guarantees as to completion date, though it could be ready before Thanksgiving.

Personal junk/what I've been up to:

        I got a J-O-B for the summer ;) as a tire tech, and so now know more
than I could possibly want to about tires, alloy wheels, custom wheels
(BTW, don't by American Racing Equipment aftermarket wheels - they suck!),
and other various suspension and braking systems.  I also managed to put
to use my knowledge gleaned from this net when an MGB with a wire wheel
conversion came in with a loose front end.  It immediately became apparent to
me that the splines on all the hubs and wheels were severely worn, and so I
was then put in the position of explaining to the mechanics, counterpersons,
and finally the customer, about how _real_ wire wheels work.

        So now I'm back at school, changed majors from Engineering Physics
to Mechanical Engineering, one year of that left.  Things to do to my car
include: rebuild my 5-spd gearbox (I'll probably be needing some advice on
that one), replace front rotors, pads, and rebuild the calipers (the only
hydraulics I haven't rebuilt yet), install the new steering rack boots that
have been sitting in my room for a good year, and put in new strut cartridges
and rear shocks.  Incidentally, I have had a 100% success rate on rebuilding
the hydraulics, and was pleasantly suprised when coming back to my car after
it sat all summer, to find that it hadn't lost any fluids, and just had to
charge up the battery, tune it (it wasn't tuned when I left it), and off I go!
My car is a '76 TR7 Federal Spec., with twin Strombergs and Lucas Opus
electronic ignition, and it runs beautifully and starts easily.

Enough babbling for now...

Vaughan Scott, MECH             Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
scottv@rpi.edu                  Troy, NY
"The only difference between a madman and myself is that I am sane."
        -Salvador Dali