Re: British Cars Digest #1351 Mon Sep 5 01:15:01 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1351 Mon Sep 5 01:15:01 MDT 1994
From: "James Fuerstenberg" <jfuerstenberg@chiaolink.dcmdc.dla.mil>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 94 10:30:52 cst

     .
Date:  Sun, 4 Sep 1994 20:29:01 PDT
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: it's begun (A series questions at the end...)

.ow, what to do? Scott suggests trying to bore .120 over, out to 1380.
The pistons are available, the low end torque could be useful. Put
in some moderate grind cam, go to a single HS4 from the dual HS2
setup that was stolen from a midget. Datsun five speed...

making a 1380 is a good idea.  I would suggest a more radical cam.
The larger the displacement, the less radical a cam meant for
standard displacement will be.  I would go with one step below a
649 cam.

Do not use an HS4 carb, use an HS6.  This works real well on the
street.  A friend has a 1380 with a HS6 (modified for greater flow
per D. Vizard).  The car runs great.  An HS4 will not let the
engine breathe enough.  There are excellent HS6 manifolds
available from Minispares or Seven Enterprises.

I still have to figure out how to measure the bore enough to determine
if this will work, and find someone who can do the machine work, but
it sounds like fun!

If you were in the Chicago area, I know a machine shop who has done
these conversions.

jim

jfuerstenberg@zz-link.dcmdc.dla.mil

"It has been said that motor racing shares in common with sex
the distinction of being one of the most popular, most maligned
and least understood of human activities."

Charles Beaumont and William F. Nolan from "Omnibus of Speed"