Several questions about restorations

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Several questions about restorations
From: "Charles R. Semer IV" <CRS@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 08:32:43 -0500 (EST)
        I have been reading this group for several months and while the car I
am restoring
does not fall into the mainstream of cars discussed I think that several of the
questions
I have might be answered through this group.

        I have a 1950 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley model. The car is complete
with the
exception of windsheild wipers. I have joined the UK A/S owners club, will be
joining the
Australian A/S owners club and have read and collected much of the available
information
about the car.

        The electrical system is Lucas [What else] and it is about this system
that I
have questions. The car currently does not have a radio but has a location in
the dash
for mounting and a factory installed antenna. I have checked  several places in
the U.S.
and have found out that none of the currently radios can be used with the car
due
the polarity of the electrical system. I would like to know two things, one can
anyone
suggest a source for a radio that is complatable with this vintage electrical
system?
and if this is not practical what is involved with changing the polarity of the
entire electrical system? How will this effect the guages, lights, etc?

        The other questions I have deal with avalibility of materials to be
used in the
restoration. I need to locate the cotton like material that covers the door
panels under
the finish cloth. I would also like to locate a source of interior finishing
material
such as the cloth covered beading around the doors, the material used to seal
both sides
of the windows, the leather beading along the edge of the floors underneath the
carpets.

        Due to the presence of rust present in small amount throughout the door
panels,
fenders and other body parts the restoration is schedulded to take some time.
Thus obtaining
these materials right now is not critical. My concern is to locate a source of
these
materials so that I can order them in time to be able to use them when needed.

        Since the answers to these questions may not be of general interest
replies can
be made directly to me at crs@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu.

        Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Regards,