Re: Bites, Gugs and Klass

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bites, Gugs and Klass
From: Mike Causer <mike@setanta.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 94 12:31:48 BST
Duncan Bryan asked:

>  Has anyone out there, with a drum brake mini, ever swapped the hubs
>  for the later disc brake version? I'm toying with the idea of ditching
>  the drums. They're not bad, but I hate adjusting them.  Several people
>  have said don't bother the braking force is reduced.

Haven't done the swop myself, but I have had drum, small- and
large-disk Minis.  The early 997 Cooper disks (7"dia 0.25" thick) are
no better than twin leading shoe drums (esp with VG95 linings in the
drums).  The disks to go for are the 7.5"x 0.375" Cooper S variety
-- which will stop a Mini and 4-wheel trailer and race car from 90mph
without fail (needed to as well!)

> Presumably the ball joints are the same and the arms are the same.

Warning!  25-year-ago memory!
Yes, but the shafts, uprights, CV joints and wheels are different.  The
"big" disks are normally used with a servo, but it's not strictly
necessary -- I chucked away the one on my S and just pushed the pedal
harder (or *very* hard with trailer & Lola behind).

> > PS. Why do some Americans call British people Limeys?

> The story (as I remember it from my school days) is that British
> sailors in the 1800s carried barrels of limes with them on their long
> voyages to prevent scurvy.  So British sailors became "limeys".  In

Close,  it was lime juice (as an anti-scorbutic), but was nowhere near
as effective as orange or lemon juice would have been.  The rum issued
every day was supposed to be medicinal in some way too ;-)  Still, at
least they tried -- that was in the days when American ships were
regarded as hell-ships, even when compared to the pretty brutal British
Navy.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Causer           Setanta Technology        mike@setanta.demon.co.uk