Re: TC's Forever

To: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: TC's Forever
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 1994 10:03:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 30 Sep 1994, Chip Old wrote:

> I guess this is not the appropriate time to mention that my TC cost only
> $950 _including_ containerized shipping from England.  Of course, that

Ca. 1960, I was offered a very straight TC.  The engine had been rebuilt,
the car was then stored while the owner was overseas, and when he returned
the engine was stuck.  The engine had been disassembled to install new
rings and whatnot.  Asking price was $800.  I couldn't afford it, but a
friend who could let me drive it a few miles after it was running again.

Then in 1962, I was offered a solid, running 1950 vintage Riley drophead
for $150.  Them were the days.  The only thing that keeps me from dispair
is that the cost of renting a garage for 32 years probably would have
exceeded the appreciation.

> I knew you wouldn't regret buying Mike's book!  If reading it cover to
> cover doesn't turn you into a bona fide TC lover, nothing will. > >

Oh, I have loved them since practically forever.  It's a tossup in my mind
which is more beautiful--each in its own way--a TC or an XK-120.
Sculpture you can get into and drive; what could be better?  Yes, OK, OK,
I do know *one* thing that can be better (and I don't mean sitting by
a campfire and drinking beer with good buddies).

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910