Re: MGB SU Carbs & Heat Shield

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB SU Carbs & Heat Shield
From: Pschauss@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 94 21:58:05 EDT
 Bill Lattimer <billla@microsoft.com>  writes:

>> 2. Anyone running without a heat sheild?  Seems like it doesn't offer
>>much protection, and I'd much rather put together a nice aluminum
>>throttle cable/spring bracket that would let me check the header bolts
>>without removing the carbs.

The heat shield is supposed to have a patch of asbestos at either
end to insulate the float bowls from the exhaust header.  At least
that's what is on the used one which I have.  As far as access to
the manifold/header bolts is concerned, there are a couple of
large holes between the carbs which give access to the
middle manifold studs if you use a swivel on your socket wrench.
The others can be reached from above or below with appropriate
contortions and the proper combo wrench.

I am using a heat shield on my MGB (1980 - converted to HS4s)
and have driven every day, all summer with no vapor locking
problems.

Peter Schauss
pschauss@aol.com