Re: '49 Triumph, what is that?

To: Jennifer Joy <jjoy@akamai.sps.mot.com>
Subject: Re: '49 Triumph, what is that?
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 23:57:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 12 Aug 1994, Jennifer Joy wrote:

> I saw in the local paper yesterday a '49 Triumph roadster.  It
> said it once belonged to royalty (whatever that is supposed to
> mean).  Also project car, and that engine and chassis had been
> rebuilt.  Price was around $3500.
>
> What kind of car would this be, perhaps?  If anyone is interested,
> when I get home I can get the paper and email back a phone number.

It must be a Triumph 2000 Roadster.  In 1946 Standard-Triumph
introduced the 1800 line based on the Flying Standard drive train and
suspension.  There was a saloon and a roadster, though the roadster was
not a sports car by any stretch of the imagination.  In 1948 both were
given the 2,088 cc wet liner Standard Vanguard engine and were renamed
Triumph 2000.  The engine was the same basic unit later used in the
TR2/3/4, but not as highly tuned.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
feold@umd5.umd.edu    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)