Re: Long Term Storage - Up or Down?

To: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Subject: Re: Long Term Storage - Up or Down?
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 1994 21:27:19 -0500 (CDT)

> I hate to even think of mentioning the idea of storage (at this summery
> time of year in the North) but I wondered what netters' experience and
> opinions were on the question  of:
> Is it better to store one's pride and joy on blocks - suitably oil
> guarded and gasoline stabilised; or to keep it down and periodically
> start it up?

Whether you put it on blocks or not (I don't, preferring to let it sit on
too-dangerous-to-drive-on wheels and crummy tires whilst the stickies on
Italian wheels rest baggied in the basement) don't run the engine in
storage.  The system never gets hot enough to dry out.

> I do remember reading that if one does choose the up option, the stands
> should be under the wheels so that the suspension is not in the fully
> downwardly extended position - damages rubbers etc?

If the stands are under the wheels, what is the point of getting it up?

I read somewhere that Sonetts left on stands for long periods tend to pop
windscreens out, so mine stayed on its wheels.  So did my Midget.  I would
not dare trust most of the places that you can find to put stands under
the back of a Europa not to warp something.  Roll the car to a slightly
different position now and again to give the bearings a break.

If it is a Triumph, be sure to stomp on the clutch pedal once in a while!