MGB Fan/Radiator Disagreement

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Fan/Radiator Disagreement
From: KMWHEELER@ualr.edu
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 1994 12:53:18 -0500 (CDT)
The other day (of course while in a hurry) I stopped by the house to get
some things, ran back outside, an oh sh*t whats all that water doing
under the B!?!?  (1975 MGB)  When time was available, I pulled the rad.
(I hoped to do a quick swap with one from a semi-parts car)  If anyone
remembers my post about going camping in the B, I thought I had pinholed
the rad out there in the woods, but it turns out the fan, the yellow
plastic type, had hit the rad and trashed a couple of those little tubes.

When I pulled the rad from the parts car (actually I think I wanna rebuild
it... :) )  I found that this rad had the same damage, but had been repaired.
The rad from the parts car wouldn't fit the street car (the upper pipe was
on the drivers side while the one from the street car is on the passengers
side).  (I was glad it didn't fit:  that way the 'parts' car would still
be intact. )

I've had my B since 1986 (since I was 16!).  I've never had any trouble
with fan strikes.  Is this commmon among B's?  Anyone else have this
problem?  I guess the fan flexes more with age, or maybe it wasn't designed
to be reved up to 5500 all the time.

sing blue silver,

Keith