PCV and others

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: PCV and others
From: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 09:41:24 -0400
Previous lurker, first time message, easy on flames,etc,etc.
     In recent postings...same oil filter problems on my 67 MGB,
including blowing out a quart in no time flat.  Changed to adapter,
screw on filters, no problems at all...even though its not stock
anymore.
     The polarization problem has been covered well, but in addition,
the wrong polarization will evidence itself by actual transfer of
metal from one point to another, not just corrosion, one point has
grown a tooth on it, years ago on a MGA I had.
     The wrong brake fluid will rot out your master cylinder rubbers,
believe me...years ago I did that to myself in Germany on another B,
and had to replace master and all 4 wheel rubbers.  And they ALL eat
up your paint real well.
     Finally, my problem, with the PCV thing.  I read the long
exchanges in the archives about PCV problems, and need someone to
tell me I am right on this, and perhaps lead me to a parts source.
The situation: a 1967 MGB with a 1968 engine installed by former
owner, and various bits of PCV system and two separate valve covers.
     My garage man looked at first set up and said no engine
breathing, very bad.  (He hadn't seen the hose straight from the
valve cover outlet pipe to the back of the front air cleaner that
soaked the filter in oil and caused the filter to burn up to a few
black lumps by a backfire (?) before I got the car.)  So I don't know
if I have 67 or 68 filter holders, valve covers, pcv valve, etc,etc.
But this is what I have done.  The big funny looking PCV assembly was
cleaned and works, proved by blowing and sucking on the fool thing
prior to reinstalling it on the previously blocked rubber hose that
fits into the manifold intake.  Then I put on the valve cover with
the outlet tube, and connected it with a new hose right to the pcv
valve inlet pipe.  Running for 3 weeks, no smoke, no hesitation, no
problems.  BUT, should the oil filler cap be the one that is vented
or sealed?  If vented, I think the pcv just pulls air down thru the
oil filter cap and may clean out the fumes from the valve cover.  If
sealed, I think the pcv would pull on a seaaled system, probably not
good.
     What i would really like to do is install the valve inspection
cover with the outlet tube on it (mine is missing, both are plain)
connect that to the pcv input tube, and run a hose from the back of
the front air cleaner over to the valve cover input tube.  Then the
pcv would pull fumes from the bottom of the engine, with air being
input thru the air filter into the top of the engine via the valve
cover tube.  With a sealed oil filler cap, this would provide clean
air positive crankcase ventilation down thru the engine.  Sorry for
the length, but now, comments on my plan are requested and a source
for the valve inspection cover with the outlet tube on it are
solicited...the usual parts places don't have them anymore.  Please
no private flames, you will only clog up my work e mail.
Randy Lancaster...The British drink warm beer because they have Lucas
refridgerators (an old one I know.)TIA!!