New Life for a 74 MG Midgit

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: New Life for a 74 MG Midgit
From: LawyerJoe@aol.com
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 94 10:31:11 EDT
First message to the net, although I have been reading along for a while.

You all know how this happens. I was driving along (OK, in my Acura Legend)
when I spotted this old MG Midgit alongside the road with a "For Sale" sign
on it.  Along came a rush of memories, mainly about how I had to drive my
father's old station wagon and not a "cool" little sportscar when I was a
kid.  Hey, maybe I was still young enough!! And, I could justify this to my
wife since our son is a year shy of driving age!  You know the rest of the
story..

Well, the guy had stripped down and repainted, new upholstery, new dash,
carpets, etc.  Looks good, but a mechanical mess!  The suspension is shot,
engine has no oil pressure, clutch is questionable, transmission jumps out of
gear, brakes inop.  So to date I have redone the suspension, brakes and a lot
of little stuff, and right now the engine and trans are out.

What I need is advice on how to restore this car into a daily driver in the
true sportscar mold.  I am planning to rebuild the engine and while I am at
it to use slightly oversized pistons, hotter cam, maybe a mild port and
polish to get some performance out of it. Dont know about the trans, except
maybe to spray coat the first gear gears which I understand are a weak point.

Any advice on improvements which are useful and appropriate at this stage of
rebuild would be appreciated.

Joe
Lawyerjoe@aol.com