XJS starter woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: XJS starter woes
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 94 16:18 EDT
Dennis asks :

>Car starts fine, I drive for 30 minutes or so, go into a 7/11 for a slurpee
>and when I return the car doesn't want to start.
>I have to turn the key several times before the starter engages. This only
>happens when its been running a good while..
>Any suggestions?

Do you have a pre-engaged starter ? If you do, then the solenoid which sits
on top of the starter is jamming. Remove the solenoid and clean it up, you
will probably see that the plunger is getting stuck somewhere inside the
solenoid. - try cleaning and lubing it.
Otherwise carry around a large hammer, when the solenoid gets stuck, "gently"
tap the top of the solenoid casing and it should start working again.

I had the same problem on an old Alfa - the solenoid used to get stuck (only
when warmed up), and a well-placed tap with a hammmer usuallly got me on my
way. As time when by, the "well-placed tap" became the "well-placed blow" and
eventually the "well-placed blowS". I sold the car soon after.

However it never ceased to strike up conversations with gas-pump attendants.

gerry