Lurking Psychologists

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Lurking Psychologists
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 16:36:27 EDT
As the one who started the discussion on stereotypes I have been very
pleasantly surprised at the number of "lurking psychologists" out there.
Actually, it must be admitted in my case that it also reflects the
interests of a britcar netter who enjoys the social and image aspects of
driving an LBC as much as the technical help from other netters in
repairing them.

I wanted to add two comments:
Firstly, I suppose there is nothing to be ashamed of in liking the
"image" of classic britcar ownership.  It is always a pleasure to find so
many people out there who on seeing my Wolseley say something like:
"Nice car, I had one in 19xx and had the following experience xxxx".  The
new car manufacturers have also, at long last, realized that the positive
(nostalgic) image of fine British cars is something to treasure, not
trash.  Notice the current "retro" look of the new Jag, and the classic
focus of its advertising!

Secondly, however, one person's positive image is often another's
horror.  I have followed the Volvo image interchange with some
amusement.  Wonder if anyone else happened to read the account of a prof
(I think in an automotive area at a university in the Washington area)
who sent out his students to view cars at city intersections to test the
hypothesis that "Volvo drivers would be significantly more agressive than
others".  (On assumption that having a safe car would give them a false
sense of security and superiority).  I don't know if this report was true
or not -- I didn't happen to notice if the date was the 1st April-- but
apparently students did find a positive relationship!

Anyway, enough of this psychology bit -

Andrew
                   Bus Admin, U of Windsor, Windsor. Ont. CANADA   N9B 3P4
Andrew Templer     Answerphone: 519-253-4232     Ext 3159
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca