Antique auctions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Antique auctions
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 23:34:47 MDT
@LURK_MODE=OFF

SOL mates:

There was an antique auction here this weekend. I didn't attend (self
defence!) but one of my buddies from work did. It's the second such
event he's put his car in. The first time it didn't make reserve, but
this time it went in without a reserve and sold. It was a 58 Old's Super
88 in quite nice unrestored condition and fetched $2300 Cdn. Not too bad.

Of interest though, there were 2 Alpines of unknown vintage, but
reportedly extremely high quality restorations. One went for $2800 Cdn
and the other for $1700. (I don't have the conversions handy, but I think
that's $1.25 US and about #150,000 ;-) Actually, about $2000 US, #1300
and $1300 US, #800 respectively. That is to say they were stolen!!

I figure a guy could make money going to these out-of-the-way auctions
and hauling the stuff south of the border.

Pitty the poor sod trying to unload a 1947 La Franz fire truck though.
He parks it in the same infamous barn that that Morgan tripod lives. He
told me the thing took 10 years to restore and cost him about $100,000!
It's been for sale for ~5 years now and went into this auction with a
reserve of $30K. The bidding only went to $13K.
             CHOOSE YOUR RESTORATION PROJECTS WELL!

Oh, and speaking of restoration projects, I'm just about ready to paint
the non-exterior bits of my Cooper body shell. Just waiting for a nice
warm day so my radient slab heating system can keep up to the air
exchange. I hope we get at least one more sometime before next July!

@LURK_MODE=ON

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Edmonton, Alberta, Canada          |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@supernet.ab.ca              |like to race a Mini!     *
'69 Morris Cooper, 39,999.9 Miles and counting!