Oiling leaf springs (cont'd.)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oiling leaf springs (cont'd.)
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 11:48:30 -0800
>My first car, a 1955 Ford, had squeeky leaf springs.  I took it to a service
>station and the cured it by spraying something they called rubber lube between
>the leafs.  I have not heard of it since & wonder what it was. It sounds like
>it
>might be a lubercant of choice for other cars that had rubber between meaves??

They probably used silicone grease, like one uses for weatherstripping in
modern cars.  As the TD has rubber pads between leaves, I used it for that
car.  The Sprite does not have rubber pads, therefore mineral-based oil
would be the choice.
IMPORTANT NOTE:  Do not use silicone grease on suspension bushings (they're
made to flex, not slip) or on tire tread (it's slippery, though it does
make the tires nice and shiny black.)  And yes, the same applies to
Armor-All.  Especially on motorcycles!
sf

Stan Fickes                             British Cars
Wireless Communication Technologies     1951 MGTD
Advanced Technology Group               1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
Apple Computer, Inc.
408 974-7653