Re: A couple of babies....

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A couple of babies....
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 11:18:02 PDT
In message <9409257831.AA783110961@ccmail.monsanto.com> you write:
>Now, Greg, if you can find a rattle shaped like a Whitworth spanner...

For some reason this reminded me of a truly wonderful phrase I cam across
whilst browsing in the Mk VI Bentley shop manual:

        (Discussing replacing the Sparking Plug Adaptors -- after coating them
with
        Whitmore's Compound No.5 screwing them into the heated cylinder head):

        "Machine off the spannering head on valve seat insert, and lock seat in
        position by centrepopping."

  --berry

(fans may be interested to know that the 4.5 litre Rolls/Bentley 6-cylinder
engine can, by careful choice of head and gasket, have a comression ratio of
from 6.4:1 to the awesome (fitted to the Bentley Continental only!) 7.27:1.
The "new" cylinder head for "ordinary" cars gives 6.75:1, made possible by
"The return og high-grade fuels to the home market")

(Or maybe not, what the heck.)