Re: Wanted HS4 SUs and MGB Manifold

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wanted HS4 SUs and MGB Manifold
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 09:29:01 +0000
Keith:

Another alternative is the HIF6 and Austin Marina combined intake/exhaust
manifold.  If all you are looking for is a no-fiddle installation, this
is the ticket.

I of course went to dual HIF4s since 1) they are the original on my 73. 2)
they offer slightly more power when PROPERLY set up ("up to" 33%) but
getting there is a challenge.  3) I got sick of explaining to people that
a) no, it wasn't a Weber, and b) no, it wasn't original. and 4) I >like<
to fiddle with my carbs.

The HIF series also responds better to temperature change than HS
(theoretically).  They have bimetallic compensators on the jets... this
is nice if you (like me) have a heat shield but no asbestos on it.  The
float bowl setup seems better designed to me, too... fewer O rings to
deteriorate and hoses to split.

Of course, if you want originality, the HSs are the ticket.  I do have
the Austin Marina manifold, HIF6, and K&N filter for sale as a set
(sorry, no heat shield for this set).  Recently replaced float, checked
needle valve for wear.  I am in Williamsburg, Virginia.

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock