"Old Faithful"

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: "Old Faithful"
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 94 15:14:29 EST
As we were crossing over the border from Windsor to Detroit yesterday I
saw the sad sight of an MGB just outside the inspection booth with the
hood up, and the owner shaking out the fuel filter.  (I felt very bad not
to have offered help, but the border was very busy and I was driving our
Dodge - regular family car and felt too sheepish to help.  Pathetic
excuse, I know).

While a hood-up LBC may seem the stereotyped norm, I wonder if others
experiece what I do, that my LBC is the most reliable of the members of
the household garage?

Last weekend, we were due to take a trip to view the autumnal glory of
upper New York State (a journey of about 600kms/350mls from Windsor).  On
the day before our planned transporter, the Dodge was stuck at the (very
expensive) dealer's shop with a fault in one of the "sequential port fuel
pressure sensor modules".   {I didn't know what that was either - but it
sounds like it's something that tells the fuel pump - "seems to be a
blockage up here"}

So to cut a long story short, we did the 1200 kms in a Wolseley whose
1968 BMC C series engine with completely standard Lucas electrics ran
faultlessly.  Now I admit that a "second" car is hardly under the same
pressure as the everyday commuter, but it did make me realize that the
stereotype of broken down British cars that even car thieves don't want
to steal, is just that - a stereotype.

I wonder what the general experience of most other netters is?
A yea or nay vote for the term "Old Faithful"?

Andrew
                   Bus Admin, U of Windsor, Windsor. Ont. CANADA   N9B 3P4
Andrew Templer     Answerphone: 519-253-4232     Ext 3159
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca