SOL Connections!

To: (British Cars)british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SOL Connections!
From: "Roger Garnett" <Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 16:52:04 +0000

Ray Wrote:

> Hemmings Motor News, Dec. 1994, page 10,320:
>
> MG TD: 1952, inskip bodied 4 seater, beige/brown, $32,000.  Jim Sheridan,
> 914-462-5807.  NY.

Hey, thanks Ray! No, I'm not looking for an Inskip TD, but you just helped
fill in a little bit of my car's history. I looked at that name, and said,
"that sounds familiar, where have I heard that before?" I remembered just as
quick- and went and checked my history file on my MG PA:

*****************************

MG PA # 1509

When I bought it, it had been registered in Pennsilvania, under its engine #.
The chassis number was obscurred with crud and painted over, therefore
unknown for some time. The current engine # is a bit odd looking:

         65P12
           CS

>From talking to Jerry Keuper of the North American MMM Register, I found the
car may have been listed on the NE MG T Register as 65P12 C5 at some time or
the other. (the C5 being a a mis-reading of the engine # stamping) I have
gotten copies of the factory service records for the car from the MGCC, which
indicate the the original engine, # 1773AP.

A brief rundown of what I know so far:
- Originally registered in Belfast (Northern Ireland) to a D. Goldring of
  Old Cavehill Rd,  Pretoria, on October 7, 1934
  Reg. # CZ6385. Purchased from Victor Ltd. of Belfast.
- Sold to an H. Walker, of Hillsborough, Co. Down, (later Tullydonnell,
  Ballsmill, Co. Armagh) sometime in 1936.
... Time passes- rework to current form ...

-Listed on MGCC MMM Register (as 65P12 C5), belonging to a James D. Sheridon?
 Address and years unknown.

-Owned by Michael J Larmey, in Braintree Massachusetts, USA, from ??? until
 August, 1979. Sold "As is... due to mechanical failure"

-Owned by John E. Holden, of Mount Joy, Pennslvania, USA from August 1979
 through 1986. Driven less than 100 miles, due to poor mechanical condition.
 Repainted Red (originally black) after an engine compartment fire.

-Purchased by Davis Cutting of Ithaca, N.Y. (USA) in May 1986. He
 experienced a brief engine fire, and the car sat in a shed in almost
 running condition until August of 1988 when I bought it.

*****************************

Now, I'd never been able to contact Larmey, much less James Sheridon. But
seeing a special MG being sold by someone of the same name could only mean
one (or 2) thing(s). I rang him right up, and after a little discussion, sure
enough, he had owned my car for around 5-7 years! It's one of 30+ MG's he's
owned, and he couldn't remember a lot of details, but had sold it to a guy in
Mass. which fit exactly Larmey's location & description. So, now I know a bit
more!

Jim bought the car from some shop in Warwick NY, somewhere in the early
70's, that had done some freshening up on it, and he drove it around a bit.
This included bringing it up to some MG Fall event at Watkins Glen once,
where they lapped the track, and he got to be first, as he had the oldest
car. This is quite interesting, seeing as I live 35 miles from there, and
have had the car there, for what I now know as a return visit, some 20 years
later!

So now the gap in Zack's history has narrowed a bit, from being in Ireland just
before WW2, until 30 years later when Jim bought it in the US.

Next?

(We don't have anyone on the list in Ireland yet, do we? Or, is anyone
familiar with British car shops in Warwick NY???)

   ________
  /     _  \    Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \   Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |  3 Warren Hall            | "The South Lansing Centre
| |   ||   | |  Cornell University       |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
 \    ||__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!