Re: Weird octane

To: joe.fitzpatrick@compudata.com (Joe Fitzpatrick)
Subject: Re: Weird octane
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 06:52:49 PST
In message <12a.49354.500@compudata.com> you write:

>However, occasionally a batch will be shipped that is over spec for one
>reason or another.  This is not done frequently but it does happen.
>Gasoline that comes in below spec is shipped as the next lower grade.
>Consequently the Octane rating on the pump is the *minimum* octane for
>that grade and the actual octane may, on rare occasion, be higher than
>what is listed.

Readers may be interested in yet another spillover from airplane land.  Basil
Travis (Basil!  I *must* get this for Sybil...) of Lodi, Ca has developed a
portable Octane test kit.  You take a sample of fuel (addmitedly easier on an
airplane, where you can drain samples from the tank sumps to check for water)
and put it in a test vial, and add some "propietary solution of less than 1/2%
of iodine" and match up the colors.  It's not too precise, but does give you a
range.
A kit good for about 5 tests is $10.00

Incidentally, this test reveals alcohol in gas by turning purple: at 3% booze
it ghets a definite purple tinge, at 5% it;s "healthy purple" and at 10% it's
Deep Purple (Yeah!  Crank it up!)  IT stains, so watch out.

        B.B. Travis Co.
        P.O. Box 287
        Lodi Ca, 95241
        209 333 8379

You can also get Hodges vapor pressure testers for 48.50 from Petersen
Aviation.  It is used mainly to test auto fuel used in some aircraft to see if
there is danger of vapor lock.

        Petersen Aviation
        Route 1, Box 18
        Minden, NE 68959
        308 832 2200

I've used neither; I'm just relaying this info on the hopes someone may find
it useful.  Or interesting, or something.

  --berry