Re: Please throw them SU pumps

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Please throw them SU pumps
From: Pschauss@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 16:20:41 -0500
(Sorry about the subject line.  America On Line chops them off
at 30 characters)

On the subject of SU fuel pumps.

My experience has been to the contrary.  I drive my MGB
every day 9-10 months out of the year and have had no problems
with the fuel pump.  From the partial service records I have
from POs, it appears to be the original pump ( 62 k miles, 24k
in the three years I have owned the car).

One of the MGs I looked at, and probably would have bought,
was destroyed in a fire caused by an aftermarket fuel pump.
They owner's mechanic had replaced the fuel pump a few days
before I looked at the car.  From what I could see the high
fuel pressure was making the gas leak at the point where the
fuel line went into the carb.   The owner said that he was going to
take the car back to have the mechanic fix that problem and
suggested that I come back again after he had fixed it.  When I
called back, he told me that the car had burned.

Peter Schauss
pschauss@aol.com
1980 MGB
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk II