TR7 head gaskets

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 head gaskets
From: scottv@rpi.edu (Vaughan K. Scott)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 16:45:05 -0500
        I have a question for fellow TR7 and Stag owners out there.  When
I recently pulled the head off of my '76 TR7, I noticed that the major
cooling passage in the head and block, above cylinder #1, leading right to
the water pump, has in the head gasket a _very_ small hole corresponding
to it.  In other words (pardon my garbled English), there is a very large
cooling passage in the head and block, going to the water pump, blocked off
almost entirely by the head gasket.
        I also recall seeing this on both replacement head gaskets I have
bought.  The second replacement, I opened up this hole and the engine
definetly ran cooler.  There are a couple of other cooling passages that are
similarly reduced by the head gasket. BTW, the head I just took off was
unopened since the factory.  Have any other TR7 and Stag owners noticed
this???  Could this not be a major factor in why these engines run so hot???
After all, how can the engine cool down, if the coolant can't flow?

Vaughan Scott           Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
scottv@rpi.edu          Troy, NY