Vanity plates & fuel pumps

To: British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Vanity plates & fuel pumps
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 15:30:31 -0500
At the risk that these subjects have by now been thourghly covered by now
(I've been out of the cournty for a week and trying to catch up on the mail),
my 2 pence worth:

1. Since my TA looks very much like a TC, my Calif license plate sez: NOT A
TC   This answers some questions but raises another: If it isn't a TC , what
is it?  I get this at most red lights.

2. I have had my share of problems with SU fuel pumps. First, never use a late
r high pressure pump on a low pressure application. There is the real
possibility of pumping through the float valves, even grosse jets, and an
engine fire.  A regulator cured this in my case, but a low pressure pump
eliminated the need for the pressure regulator.

All SU's should be equiped with a capacitor (.002-.004 mfd) in parallel with
the points or with a diode in parallel with the coil.  Some one mentioned
that the diode is in series with the coil but this will not work.  It must be
in parallel with the coil which is why these pumps are polarity sensitive,
reverse the leads and get a dead short.  A small diode from radio shack, 2
amp, 200v will work and is easy to fit.

An alternative or back up is to fit a modern electronic pump. These are made
by Purolator and can be found in the Moss catalog at about $64 also in my
local Auto Parts Club at $25.  They appear in J. C. Witless from time to
time.  These can be installed in series with your SU in a unobtrusive place
and will pump right through the SU. Should the new pump fail, you have a back
up sitting right there to pick up the load.

In my case, since I have two fuel lines coming forward from the fuel tank, I
put the electronic pump back at the tank in series with one of the lines and
left the SU in the other.  Now I have a pump up front that pulls (didn't want
to use the obvious word) fuel forward as was normal for these vapor lock
prone cars AND a pump in the rear to push nice cool fuel forward....Goodbye
vapor lock!  Since I didn't want to run another wire to the rear pump, I just
hooked it to the tail light circuit.  I use the SU normally, if there is a
problem with it, I just switch on the side lights and presto , the back up
pump is turned on.  At night, the back up pumps through the SU.......

End of all fuel pump problems!!!!

Cheers, TATerry

P.S. The Purolator has an optional fuel filter that screws right in to the
pump body adding additonal crude protection.