Re: what's in a name

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, pgarside@acorn.co.uk
Subject: Re: what's in a name
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 14:17:43 -0600

> US                              UK
>
> Kleenex                     Tissue               original, huh?
>
> Frigidaire                  Fridge               food conservation centre,
Refridgerator
>                                                      if you're into kitchens
>
> Band Aid                  Elastoplast       for those skinned knuckles
                             Plaster (I NEVER called it an elastoplast)

> Vacuum                   Hoover

Gunk                               Swarfega             Oily hand cleaner

Anitsieze stuff                              Copaslip           Anti-seize
compound

Phosphoric acid (or coke)                              Jenolite
Phosphoric acid

> Bondo                    P-38, Plastic Padding, filler
>
> Weber                    SU
hahahahah good one...

> ?
chrome polish?                             Brasso               metal polish

> Linoleum(?)           Formica             Plastic counter-top (Linoleum in
> UK is strictly floors)
Nope....formica is the same here too.

> ?                              T-Cut               a fierce polish for
> resurfacing paintwork
polishing compound

> Paul.

marcus

P.S. I'm sure there are many diffrences aroud the US, same as I'm from Worcester
and Paul is from?