Clear Coat option

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Clear Coat option
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 10:27:48 -0500 (EST)
As an laternative to an acrylic clear coat, which may go hazy
after a while I did the following :
1. Sprayed two coats of primer/filler and then sanded it to 400
2. Sprayed another coats in a differnet colour and daned it.
3. Filled all the lows and sprayed again.

4. When perfect I sprayed four double coats of ac.lacquer and after
   three days I coloured sanded to 600.
5. I then sprayed another four double coats and sanded to 600 again after
it had sat for a week.
6. Now for the final day you spray one double caots at a slightly thinner
mix and afte it has flashed you spray a BLENDING CLEAR over it. For
Du Pont this is called 300S, It melts in that final coats to a shine that
is really nice. I then colour sanded it with 1000 grit after a week.
7. Then let the car sit for a month. This waiting is important because
lacquer drys on the outside but does not get really hard for a long time.
8. Now you are ready to HAND buff the entire car with mild rubbing compound
and then  polishing compound.
9. When that's all done you get some Meguirs (sp) final swirl remover and
go over the car with that.

10. You're done and it will be fab. AND - you can now rub it out in a few
years without being afraid of going through that thin clea coat and loosing
the gloss, because the blending clear just smoothes in aLL those layers
of paint.

This is what I did on the Healey in a very dark green and it looks good
enough that show guys have asked me for the name of where I got it
done. (but I can see all the flaws !)

 Christopher  Ball  triumph@io.org   Toronto, Ont. (416) 751-8300 Work
75 Spitfire // 64 Healey 3000 Mk. III // 59 TR3A //66 BSA Thunderbolt