Re: Single ZS to Dual SU conversion

To: Dave Chu <davec@ECE.concordia.CA>
Subject: Re: Single ZS to Dual SU conversion
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 10:06:18 -31802 (PST)
Dave,
        Now I hate to be the one to break this to you, but you may not
get the extra power you're looking for with this conversion.  I am
assuming that you plan to use HS-2's.
        What you should do, (listen to me, hah), is buy a manifold
directly from England, which will enable you to simply bolt on HS-4's
from any MGB.  Get the appropriate needles along with the manifold.  This
way, you'll have twice the carburettion that you currently have, and your
conversion will be effective.
        Or, if you're really cheap, have some welder dude lay a couple
beads around the outside of your HS-2 intake manifold, just behind the
carb mounting flange.  Then you can bore out the intake to 1.5", and
simply bolt on MGA H-4's.  That's what I did on my last 4-cyl Spitty engine.
However, the carburettors are more antiquated and funky than MGB carbs,
and you'll have to get clever with choke linkage.  I used (if I remember
correctly), the choke linkage from a Bugeye.

        A pair of HS-2's is not going to be a worthwhile boost in
performance, or a good use of your time, on a 1500 engine.  Even the MGA
1500 used a pair of 1.5" carbs, and we all know what a Cobra-beater that was.

        Been there, done all three conversions.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6