Vacuum-driven wipers

To: "'British Cars'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vacuum-driven wipers
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 94 11:11:00 CST
Andy Mace offered:

> ...which explains why the windshield wipers in my 1951 Chevrolet slowed
> or stopped under heavy engine load

To which Roland Dudley responded:

> I was surprised there was so much confusion about this because of
> memories of driving old junkers in the rain and having to keep up a
> continuous rhythm of accelerations and decelerations to keep the
> wiper blades moving.  In general I guess you have to be an old fart
> like Ray and myself to have had this experience.

Old fart indeed!  At 33, I rather think of myself as a smart young
whippersnapper.  I bought an aftermarket fuel pump for my '49 Chevy that had
a vacuum port to drive the wipers.  Never got around to hooking it up,
though.  Just a lazy rascal, I guess.

Kevin Riggs                                       '72 TR6 waiting on rebuilt
tranny--next week?!
rkriggs@ingr.com
Huntsville AL