Re: TR4 gasket compound

To: fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
Subject: Re: TR4 gasket compound
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 09:56:13 -0800 (PST)
Chip Old wrote:

> The factory shop manuals say to use gasket cement, but normally it isn't
> necessary.  The kind of leakage you described shouldn't happen, with or
> without gasket goo.  If it does, check how far above the block surface the
> liners protrude.  Should be .003 in. - .005 in. (0.08 mm - 0.13 mm)
> measured after an initial head torquing to compress the figure eight
> gaskets at the bottoms of the liners.

**** ``After an initial head torquing''?  None of my Triumph books said that.
Hmm, they say that you should check your _existing_ setup for liner protrusion
when you happen to pop the head off.  OK, it makes sense then.  Unfortunately,
I put my engine together and measured the protrusion without a preliminary
torquing.  Had to sand down the cylinder sleeve tops too, because the
machine shop insisted on grinding the head surface;  he said it was warped.

  Well, it's been two years;  So far so good; no exhaust bubbles in the
coolant :-).

                               - Jerry Kaidor

p.s.  They don't ``protrude'', how inelegant.  They ``Stand Proud'', that's
much better :-).