Re: it worked!

To: eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu
Subject: Re: it worked!
From: rodb@ee.ubc.ca
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 10:56:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

> Like I said, performance is not a great consideration here. Since the MG
> is my only transportation (short of hitching a ride with my wife), the car
> just had to pass the emissions tests. And I'm durned glad that it did!

Sounds like a lot of work and I'm glad you passed the test.  Out of
interest, what are the emission limits and does the test include
a dynometer?

Here in Vancouver BC we've had dynometer based emissions testing for a
few years.  I had no problem getting my an VW Rabbit through with no
egr, no air pump, and weber DGAV carb.  It initially needed a bit of
fiddling (went through twice the first time).  It passed for four
straight years till we sold the thing.

I've heard that dynometer testing is coming to the US and it would
be interesting to compare emission limits and testing procedures.

In our case it is first an idle test: HC 600 ppm, CO 6%. (it got 220 and 3)
The 2500 RPM loaded: HC 500 ppm, C0 3.5% and NOX 2748ppm (it got 119, 2.3
and 1817).

--rod.

--
Rod Barman, Dept. of E.E., University of British Columbia
rodb@ee.ubc.ca