Re: Crosley Hot Shot

To: Dick Harold <harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU>
Subject: Re: Crosley Hot Shot
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 10:20:30 -0500 (EST)
I think most of you must be too young to remember the Hotshot, so you
can't form a mental image of it.  They are not thick on the ground; I saw
one at a car show last year, probably the only one I've seen in 30 years.
Unfortunately, I am old enough to remember seeing new ones, so forgive me,
I must jump in here.

I think Dick Harold has stated the Crosley history rather accurately.
However, while he is correct that the Hotshot was a roadster, I would
certainly not have said there was anything jeeplike or square about it.
Could you possibly be confusing the appearance of the Hotshot with that of
the Mini Moke, Dick?

The Hotshot had an envelope body with cut-down sides.  It was rather
rounded and not at all squarish--not to my eye, anyway--and had a clear
family resemblance to the other Crosley models.  I hate to say it, but if
you were to compare it to anything british, it would most resemble a
bugeye.  The quality of styling was not as good, and it was smaller (!),
rather like a bugeye reproduced from memory by the Trabant works.  That's
to give you the idea; the Hotshot of course preceded the bugeye by a
decade.  I am trying to remember how the headlights were styled.  I think
they were small separate units bolted on, not faired in as the lights are
on bugeyes, as strange as that sounds.  There was nothing much in the way
of a grille, just a straight front bumper.  There must have been an
opening for air beneath the bumper.  Obviously, someone needs to find a
picture.

I do not believe the Hotshot name was used for any pre-war Crosley model,
but was used only for the sports roadster in the early 50s.  The Hotshot
had the cast iron 4 cylinder engine, I believe with a few performance
mods.  It was a fairly competent little sports car, and rather cute,
especially in the popular color combination of OE white with red
upholstery.  They were raced quite a bit, stripped of their headlights,
which may account for my uncertainty about what they looked like *with*
headlights.  Dick is correct; most americans then would have nothing to do
with anything that small.  If they wanted a sports car, the MG was a
better car, was imported and therefore desirable, and hadn't the Crosley's
stigma of being cheap and tinny and domestic.  Given a choice between a
secondhand TC and a new Hotshot at the same price, few would have chosen
the Hotshot.

At the time, people with imported sports cars were definitely a bit snotty
about them.  Owners of the same make waved or honked (if the horn would
work) to each other.  One's democratic instincts dictated whether one
waved back when waved to by the owner of a lesser (i.e. cheaper) marque.
Waves varied in enthusiasm, from obvious waves, through Queen Elizabeth
like gestures, to a bare-bones acknowledgment in which one or two fingers
were casually raised from the steering wheel and there was no attempt at
eye contact.  I think very few would have waved in any fashion to a
Hotshot driver, whether he/she waved first or not.  The wave attraction of
various imported cars, and the feeling of belonging to unofficial clubs
probably had a lot to do with which cars sold well and which did not.

Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910