Detroit Auto show thoughts (long-n-tedious)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Detroit Auto show thoughts (long-n-tedious)
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 08:52:36 +0500
Fellow fiends:

Well, the spousal unit and I went to the "North American International Auto
Show" last night and I naturally figured you all would be interested in a
few thoughts I had regarding the event.  Warning: high (some might say
*very* high) subjectivity content!  Otherwise, hit "Ctrl-D."

Of direct relevance to lbcs and LBCs:
-First, the Jags:  I'd forgotten how big those XJ6's really are.  I like
them, though there's something about the rear end treatment that bothers me
still.  One thing's for sure: some *strange* colors; there is a palid
maroon, an almost sickening metalic silver green, neither of which remotely
compliment the body shape.  Black looks strangely un-special; the car just
seems hulking in black, too much flat surface(?).  They do have a metalic
champagne-like color which is perfect with a light biscuit leather interior.

The XJS is still a beautiful car to me (especially the coupe, especially in
silver), even though the design elements are all mid-80's.  I want one.  I
dispair for jag though: big expensive cars.  I'll never actually buy one
new.  I could spend half the price of a new XJS and get a cherry series 1
E-type OTS.  I'd *much* rather have the 30 year old car.

Question: what's wrong with a moderately priced "entry" level sports car
from Jaguar?  Did the 914/924/944 destroy Porsche?  Why can't Jag produce a
high $20's/low $30's two seater, a really potent RX-7 fighter?  I'd sell the
dog to get one if it was a half way decent car.  Instead we get a
monstrously expensive Aston Martin.  Would such a car have a negative
influence on their other offerings?  As it is, it strikes me that they make
cars for lawyers now.  Sorry to all you lawyers out there (heck, my dad is a
lawyer).

AC:  they had the new Ace and one or two vintage "Cobras" there.  Funny
thing: no one payed much attention to the new Ace, but there were big crowds
around the "Cobras."  This is a blue collar town after all, and basic car
with big iron still pulls at the heart strings (mine too I suppose).  The
Ace was lovely.  Well balanced styling; silver metalic paint with black
leather interior.  Dash did look a bit "economical" though.  Too bad: car
was on rotating platform with multiple "keep off" signs.

Land Rover:  Are they kidding?  Who's actually going to pay that much?  Do
they really sell those things?

Lotus:  Three Esprit S4s were in evidence: basic yellow, basic red and basic
blue.  They win the flat windshield award (beat out a 1979 VW Bug).  Dated
styling, closer to six $$$ figures than I realized.  They just sort of leave
me cold.  Nice coherent design, but nothing special, nothing flamboyant.
For what they're asking, I want flamboyant!

Non-lbc related thoughts:
-My bones ache around the RX-7; God, I want one.  They had a silver one with
red leather, too.  AAAAHHH!  Too bad I'd have to break the law to afford
one.  I also like the Miata in "montego blue mica."  Sales rep tells me
"Looks like British racing green, doesn't it?"  Well, no, but it's still a
nice color.
-I didn't know you could pay that much for a Saab 900, or an Isuzu Trooper.
As you can tell, I'm generally devastated by sticker price at these shows.
-Glad we took public transportation; parking was horrible (bitter irony, that).
-Got back to my humble daily driver ('91 Miata; please, no flames) for the
trip home: covered in salt.  I'm going to have to hose this baby down with
the next warm spell.  Sure hope the rustproofing works.
-Took me 45 mins. to drive the 12 mile commute this morning.
-And last but not least: What are we trying to prove here?  I have to
constantly seperate the notions of "transportaion," "commuting," "urban
chaos," "God-damn rotten winter weather," and "sports car."  Otherwise...
it'll drive me crazy  =:o

Will "Can I go now?" Zehring