Re: TR4 Front Pulley Removal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Front Pulley Removal
From: Michael G Hering <MGHering@world.std.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 09:32:20 +0001 (EST)
        When I first saw this post, I was a bit confused because I
thought you were talking about the pulley itself, but I now realize you
are talking about what one of my manuals calls the crankshaft extension.

        I was able to get this off with just hand tools.  Like TerriAnn
said, put the car in gear with the brakes on and blocks on both sides of
the wheels.  I think 4th gear works best, because with a lower gear you
might have enough mechanical advantage to push the car over the blocks.
Then get the biggest wrench you can find.  I had an old foot and a half
long monkey/pipe wrench that my father got in a flea market.  I remember
standing on the end of the wrench to get the leverage I needed.  You
might also need to give it some sharp blows with a hammer to break it
free. I should also mention that I removed the radiator and bonnet for
this job.

        Finally, a cautionary word of advice.  When you replace the
crankshft extension use a NEW woodruff key.  I used the old one because
it didn't look like it was worn at all.  BIG mistake.  After getting the
car all back together, I realized that the fan/crankshaft extension had
some play in it.  It all had to come apart again (the radiator, bonnet,
fan, pulley, etc) so I could put in a new key.  There was NO visible
difference between the new key and the old worn key (to the naked eye),
but that 10,000 of an inch or whatever it was made the difference.  It is
on tight now.  So use a new key.  They only cost a buck or two.

                                        Michael Hering
                                        '67 TR4A IRS