Re: MGA Temp sensor line woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Temp sensor line woes
From: RLDesign@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 03:11:02 -0500
> I cut the temperature sending line on my '57 MGA

As far as I know, these are filled with an inert gas, which as it expands,
presses against something in the gauge which then twists the needle around.
Hence the reason you have to buy a gauge/sender unit, because they are
sealed. I doubt you can fix it at home, other than getting a new assembly, or
at least a used one. I suspect that a instrument rebuilding shop could patch
up your old one.

BTW, a '67 MGB I used to have had an excellent repair for this very problem:
someone had cut the old sender off, and replaced it with a new >electrical<
sender unit, which was attached by a short length of wire to the old sender's
tube. Guy I bought it from couldn't figure out why his repair hadn't
worked...

--Roger