Re: MGB Rear Brakes

To: "Paul Davis" <pdavis@uk.mdis.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Rear Brakes
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 11:54:37 -0500
>Does anyone know the best way to fit the clips that hold the rear
>brake cylinders on the brake backplate on MGB (and I presume other
>LBC's). I seem to just keep bending them.
>
>Thanks in advance

>Paul Davis PRO-IV Marketing Manager
>PRO-IV Marketing - Home of the most productive
>Development Environment
>
>Phone +44   1442   274373
>Fax   +44   1442   273077

Paul -

Those clips are my least-favorite part of the MGB.  ' Can't say that I know
of a slick solution - I just wrestle them on - driving them from the center
of the clip with a moderately blunt instrument.  As they approach maximum
expansion, they do bend pretty severely.  At that point I am usually
thinking "oh-oh, I've ruined it"  but since I have nothing to lose (if I
have indeed ruined it), I drive it the rest of the way on - and amazingly -
it ends up looking just like it should.  Next problem: I can never quite
convince myself that I've got the center "tang" of the clip firmly seated
in the groove on the cylinder. I like to KNOW it is all the way on - but it
is always a judgement call.  I go on to the other one when I'm "pretty
sure" I've got it. I hate not knowing!  But, I've never ruined one this
way, and I've never had one fall off either.

I am posting this to the net as I really hope somebody out there has a more
satisfying way to do this.     ' Still have the right rear on my '73 GT to
do.  I'm "pretty sure" the left one is on tight.

Good luck,
Allen

Allen H. Bachelder, Associate Professor of Trumpet
                                         =iii=<
Department of Music, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0240
E-mail: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu, Phone: 703-231-6713,  Fax 703-231-5034