MGA frozen clutch

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA frozen clutch
From: Croaker the Physician <markl@us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 95 09:13:48 PST
Well, all this bloody rain has kept me from driving The Geezer all month.
Sorry, but the days when I didn't care that my top and side curtains leak
like sieves (just start singing sea shantys :-) are fast drawing to a close.
A peek of sunshine appears Sunday morning.  I have just enough time to drive
to the store for food before the Super Bowl festivities start.  Jump in The
Geezer, and CRUNCH.  The transmission will not engage in any gear.  Luckily I
left it in neutral the last time I shut it down, or starting it would have
been somewhat unpleasant, as the already "pre-crushed" 1600 Mk-II grill met a
concrete wall.

The clutch pedal works just fine; the slave piston is moving just fine, all
the little rods are connected just fine, and nothing is leaking.  So with all
the moisture in the air, I have to assume my clutch disc has gotten frozen to
the flywheel.

Now, how do I unstick it?  I have no real garage facilities, certainly
nothing that would let me pull the motor.  The prosepect of having the car
towed to O'Connors just doesn't fill me with joy.  I've had a suggestion that
I put the car in gear, put on the handbrake, stomp on the brake and the
clutch, and just pull the starter knob, but I'm concerned about damaging the
starter.  I *might* be able to push-start the car, but it is in a communal
underground garage with little room for maneuvering, and a fairly steep grade
to get out on to the street.

Thanks for any help,
markl

Mark L. Lambert
Mobile Systems Group
Oracle Corporation

"I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad.  Sometimes I drink it when I'm
alone.  When I have company I consider it obligatory.  I trifle with it if
I'm not hungry and drink it when I am.  Otherwise I never touch it...unless
I'm thirsty"

        -- Mme. Lily Bollinger, on Champagne