Re: Limited slop differentials

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Limited slop differentials
From: "Klauser, Felix (EXP)" <felix.klauser@lmco.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 17:52:32 -0500
> Has anyone had any first hand experience with the Quaife limited slip
> differential?  I am thinking about putting one in my Marcos and would
> like to hear any thoughts as to their durability, any additional noise
> they make  etc.

I have one in a Caterham 7; it works just fine. It will change the handling
of the car by inducing over steer when too much power is applied. Without an
LSD the inside rear wheel loses traction first and engine power just spins
away. With an LSD such as a Quaife this is prevented until both wheels lose
traction. In a turn this will mean that the back end will step out. Fun but
does require being prepared so that the car doesn't swap ends! After 4 years
and lots of track days the Quaife LSD has stood up to 210 bhp just fine.

Felix