Re: Updeated DCOE page for TR2-4A

To: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@cruzers.com>,
Subject: Re: Updeated DCOE page for TR2-4A
From: "Mike Denman" <mikedenman@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:55:38 -0800
Hi TeriAnn,
Your page on Weber carburetors is excellent.  Anyone who owns a car with
Weber carburetors or is thinking about adding Weber carburetors to their
cars should read this page. Very well done! My Marcos has dual Weber 45DCOE
carburetors and last year at Thunderhill race track I had a problem with
them.  The first indication that I had a problem was a "flat spot" at 6500
rpm's.  This progressed to a high speed miss which progressed to a miss at
anything over 3000 rpm's.  The car would start and run normally except above
3000 rpm's or with the throttle advanced. Above 3000 rpms or with advance
throttle the engine acted like it was running on only 3 cylinders (out of 4
cylinders).  I checked "everything" to no avail.  I limped home from the
racetrack really puzzled.  To make a long story short (and to get to my
point) I found a screw missing from the bottom of the carburetors.  The
missing screw held in the high speed venturi for #1 cylinder.  With this
screw missing the high speed venturi would unseat and effectively limit that
cylinder to the idle circuit.  The locking tab that was supposed to keep the
screw in place was still on the carburetor (the carburetors were bought new
and were perhaps a year old).  These screws are also drilled for safety
wire.  And because the screws are not "torqued down" like normal screws
(because they hold a thin and somewhat fragile venturi in place, the locking
tabs don't work very well.  I would suggest that these screws should always
be safety wired The safety wire will definitely keep the screws in place.

Best regards,
Mike Denman
1966 Marcos 1800